|Drugs search, click the first letter of a drug name: | A | B | C | D | E | F | G | H | I | J | K | L | M | N | O | P | Q | R | S | T | U | V | W | X | Y | Z | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 8 | 9
Generic Name: Abacavir Oral Solution (ah-bah-KAH-ver)
Brand Name: Ziagen
Abacavir Solution can cause severe, even fatal, allergic reactions, liver problems, and blood acid-base balance (lactic acidosis) problems. If you develop symptoms such as rash, fever, fatigue, difficult or rapid breathing, cough, throat inflammation, dark urine, yellowing of the skin or eyes, drowsiness, muscle aches, stomach/abdominal pain, nausea, vomiting, or diarrhea, immediately stop using Abacavir Solution and notify your doctor. Do not restart Abacavir Solution if an allergic reaction to Abacavir Solution has occurred because more severe life-threatening problems could occur (including low blood pressure and death). Also, if an allergic reaction is only suspected, Abacavir Solution should never be restarted.
Abacavir Solution is used for:
Treating HIV infection with other medications.
Abacavir is a nucleoside analog reverse transcriptase inhibitor (NRTI). It works by slowing down the growth of HIV, the virus that causes AIDS.
Do NOT use Abacavir Solution if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Abacavir Solution
- you have had a recent abnormal liver function test or have moderate to severe liver problems
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Abacavir Solution:
Some medical conditions may interact with Abacavir Solution. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding or thinking about breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or
- if you are unusually tired or have a fever, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, stomach pain, a cough, or a skin rash
- if you have shortness of breath, an allergic reaction, or a sore throat
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Abacavir Solution. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Methadone because the effectiveness may be decreased by Abacavir Solution
- Alcohol because the side effects and toxic effects of Abacavir Solution may be increased
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Abacavir Solution may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Abacavir Solution:
Use Abacavir Solution as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for
exact dosing instructions.
- Abacavir Solution comes with an additional patient information sheet called a Medication Guide. Read it carefully and reread it each time you get Abacavir Solution refilled.
- Abacavir Solution comes with a Warning Card that provides information about recognition of allergic reactions. Carry the Warning Card of allergy symptoms with you. Tell your health care provider immediately about any side effects you experience while taking Abacavir Solution.
- Abacavir Solution may be taken with or without food.
- Use a measuring device marked for medicine dosing. Ask your pharmacist for help if you are unsure of how to measure this dose.
- Using Abacavir Solution at the same times each day will help you to remember. Continue to use Abacavir Solution even if you feel well.
- If you miss a dose of Abacavir Solution, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do
not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Abacavir Solution.
Important safety information:
- If you drink more than 3 alcohol-containing drinks a day, do not take Abacavir Solution without first discussing it with your doctor.
- Before you have any medical or dental treatments, emergency care, or surgery, tell the doctor or dentist that you are using Abacavir Solution.
- The virus may develop resistance to Abacavir Solution if you stop taking it, even for a short period of time, and may become harder to treat.
- If you must stop taking Abacavir Solution for any reason other than a serious allergic reaction, do not take Abacavir Solution again without talking with your health care provider. If your health care provider decides that you may take Abacavir Solution again, you should do so only in a setting with other people in case you need immediate access to a doctor.
- When your medicine
supply begins to run low, get more from your doctor or pharmacist as soon as possible. The HIV may develop resistance to Abacavir Solution if you stop taking it, even for a short period of time, or it may become harder to treat.
- Changes in body fat may occur while you are taking Abacavir Solution (eg, increased fat in the upper back and stomach areas, decreased fat in the arms and legs). The cause and long-term effects of these changes are unknown. Discuss the risks and benefits of therapy with your doctor, as well as the possible role of exercise to reduce this side effect.
- Abacavir Solution offers no protection from the transmission of HIV to others through sexual contact or blood contamination. Use barrier forms of contraception
(eg, condoms) if you are infected with HIV.
- Abacavir Solution is not a cure for HIV infection and patients may continue to acquire illnesses/infections associated with HIV infection (the virus that causes AIDS). Remain under the care of your health
- LAB TESTS, including liver function and monitoring for hypersensitivity reactions, may be performed to monitor your progress or to check for side effects. Be sure to keep all doctor and lab appointments.
- Use Abacavir Solution with caution in the ELDERLY because they may be more sensitive to its effects, especially liver, kidney, or heart problems.
- Abacavir Solution is not recommended for use in CHILDREN younger than 3 months of age. Safety and effectiveness in this age group have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you plan on becoming pregnant, discuss with your doctor the benefits and risks of using Abacavir Solution during pregnancy. It is unknown if Abacavir Solution is excreted in breast milk. HIV-infected mothers should not breast-feed their infants because of the risk of transmitting the HIV infection or Abacavir Solution.
Possible side effects of Abacavir Solution:
All medicines may
cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Exhaustion; flushing; general body discomfort; headache; joint pain;
lack of energy; loss of appetite; mouth sores; muscle aches; redness of the eyes or swelling of the conjunctiva; severe muscle pain or cramping; sleeplessness;
swelling; unusual weakness.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); abnormal skin sensations; achiness; chest pain; cough; diarrhea; extreme tiredness; fainting;
fever; flu-like illness; generally ill feeling; nausea; severe dizziness;
shortness of breath; sore throat; stomach pain; vomiting.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions or need medical advice about side effects, contact your doctor or health care provider. You may report
side effects to the FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088) or at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org/findyour.htm), or emergency room immediately.
Proper storage of Abacavir Solution:
Store Abacavir Solution at room temperature, between 68 and 77 degrees F
(20 and 25 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Abacavir Solution out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Abacavir Solution, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Abacavir Solution is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is summary only. It does not contain all information about Abacavir Solution. If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
Issue Date: November 1, 2006
Database Edition 06.4.1.002
Copyright © 2006 Wolters Kluwer Health, Inc.
zbacavir solution, sbacavir solution, wbacavir solution, qbacavir solution, avacavir solution, anacavir solution, ahacavir solution, agacavir solution, abzcavir solution, abscavir solution, abwcavir solution, abqcavir solution, abaxavir solution, abavavir solution, abafavir solution, abadavir solution, abaczvir solution, abacsvir solution, abacwvir solution, abacqvir solution, abacacir solution, abacabir solution, abacagir solution, abacafir solution, abacavur solution, abacavjr solution, abacavkr solution, abacavor solution, abacav9r solution, abacav8r solution, abacavie solution, abacavid solution, abacavif solution, abacavit solution, abacavi5 solution, abacavi4 solution, abacavir aolution, abacavir zolution, abacavir xolution, abacavir dolution, abacavir eolution, abacavir wolution, abacavir silution, abacavir sklution, abacavir sllution, abacavir splution, abacavir s0lution, abacavir s9lution, abacavir sokution, abacavir sopution, abacavir sooution, abacavir solytion, abacavir solhtion, abacavir soljtion, abacavir solition, abacavir sol8tion, abacavir sol7tion, abacavir solurion, abacavir solufion, abacavir solugion, abacavir soluyion, abacavir solu6ion, abacavir solu5ion, abacavir solutuon, abacavir solutjon, abacavir solutkon, abacavir solutoon, abacavir solut9on, abacavir solut8on, abacavir solutiin, abacavir solutikn, abacavir solutiln, abacavir solutipn, abacavir soluti0n, abacavir soluti9n, abacavir solutiob, abacavir solutiom, abacavir solutioj, abacavir solutioh, bacavir solution, aacavir solution, abcavir solution, abaavir solution, abacvir solution, abacair solution, abacavr solution, abacavi solution, abacavirsolution, abacavir olution, abacavir slution, abacavir soution, abacavir soltion, abacavir soluion, abacavir soluton, abacavir solutin, abacavir solutio, baacavir solution, aabcavir solution, abcaavir solution, abaacvir solution, abacvair solution, abacaivr solution, abacavri solution, abacavi rsolution, abacavirs olution, abacavir oslution, abacavir sloution, abacavir soultion, abacavir soltuion, abacavir soluiton, abacavir solutoin, abacavir solutino, aabacavir solution, abbacavir solution, abaacavir solution, abaccavir solution, abacaavir solution, abacavvir solution, abacaviir solution, abacavirr solution, abacavir solution, abacavir ssolution, abacavir soolution, abacavir sollution, abacavir soluution, abacavir soluttion, abacavir solutiion, abacavir solutioon, abacavir solutionn, etc.