|Drugs search, click the first letter of a drug name: | A | B | C | D | E | F | G | H | I | J | K | L | M | N | O | P | Q | R | S | T | U | V | W | X | Y | Z | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 8 | 9
Generic Name: Quinapril/Hydrochlorothiazide (KWIN-uh-PRILL/HIGH-droe-klor-THIGH-uh-zide)
Brand Name: Accuretic and Quinaretic
When used during the second and third trimesters of pregnancy, Accuretic can cause injury or death to the fetus. Consult your doctor or pharmacist for more information.
Accuretic is used for:
Treating high blood pressure. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Accuretic is an angiotensin-converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitor and thiazide diuretic combination. It works by causing blood vessels to relax
(widen) and increasing the excretion of excess fluid, which lowers blood pressure.
Do NOT use Accuretic if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Accuretic
- you are allergic to "sulfa" medications (eg,
sulfamethoxazole, sulfisoxazole, glyburide, probenecid) or to similar medications
- you are pregnant
- you have severe kidney problems or a history of angioedema (swelling of the face, lips, throat, or tongue) caused by treatment with a similar medication
- you are taking dextran sulfate, dofetilide, or ketanserin
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Accuretic :
Some medical conditions may interact with Accuretic . Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding, or of child bearing age
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have
allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have a history of unusual swelling of your face, neck, or trunk;
dehydration; gout; or electrolyte problems; or if you are on a salt-restricted diet
- if you have a history of heart, kidney, or liver problems; diabetes;
blood vessel problems (eg, aortic stenosis, stroke); heart attack; dialysis;
autoimmune disease (eg, lupus); scleroderma; or blood or bone marrow problems
- if you are going to have or have recently had surgery, general anesthesia, or spinal anesthesia
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Accuretic . Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Barbiturates (eg, phenobarbital), corticosteroids (eg, prednisone), diazoxide, narcotic pain medicines (eg, codeine), other medicine for high blood pressure (eg, propranolol, verapamil), or potassium-sparing diuretics
because they may increase the risk of Accuretic "s side effects
- Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) (eg, indomethacin) or salicylates (eg, aspirin) because they may decrease the effectiveness of Accuretic
- Dextran sulfate, digoxin, dofetilide, ketanserin, lithium, potassium-sparing diuretics (eg, triamterene), potassium supplements, sulfonylureas (eg, glyburide), or thiopurines (eg, azathioprine) because the risk of their side effects may be increased by Accuretic
- Insulin or oral hypoglycemics (eg, glyburide), because they may decrease Accuretic "s effectiveness
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Accuretic may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or
change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Accuretic :
Use Accuretic as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Take Accuretic by mouth with or without food.
- Accuretic may increase the amount of urine or cause you to urinate more often when you first start taking it. To keep this from disturbing your sleep, try to take your dose before 6 pm.
- If you are taking a tetracycline antibiotic, a quinolone antibiotic
(eg, ciprofloxacin, levofloxacin), or colestipol or cholestyramine for high cholesterol, take these medicines at least 3 hours apart from Accuretic . This product contains magnesium, which can interfere with absorption of these medicines.
- Take Accuretic on a regular schedule to get the most benefit from it.
- Taking Accuretic at the same time each day will help you remember to take it.
- Continue to take Accuretic even if you
feel well. Do not miss any doses.
- If you miss a dose of Accuretic , take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Accuretic .
Important safety information:
- Accuretic may cause drowsiness, dizziness, lightheadedness, or fainting. These effects may be worse if you take it with alcohol or certain medicines. Use Accuretic with caution. Do not drive or perform other possibly unsafe tasks until you know how you react to it.
- Accuretic may cause dizziness, lightheadedness, or fainting; alcohol, hot weather, exercise, or fever may increase these effects. To prevent them, sit up or stand slowly, especially in the morning. Sit or lie down at the first sign of any of these effects.
- Patients who take medicine
for high blood pressure often feel tired or run down for a few weeks after starting treatment. Be sure to take your medicine even if you may not feel "normal.". Tell your doctor if you develop any new symptoms.
- Accuretic may cause you to become sunburned more easily. Avoid the sun, sunlamps, or tanning booths until you know how you react to Accuretic . Use a sunscreen or wear protective clothing if you must be outside for more than a short time.
- Drink plenty of fluids during exercise or other activities in which excessive sweating may occur. Dehydration, excessive sweating, vomiting, or diarrhea may lead to a serious fall in blood pressure. Contact your health care provider at once if any of these symptoms occur.
- Check with your doctor before you use a salt substitute or a product that has potassium in it.
- It may take 1 to 2 weeks for Accuretic to work. Do not stop taking Accuretic without checking with your
- Tell your doctor or dentist that you take Accuretic before you receive any medical or dental care, emergency care, or surgery.
- Diabetes patients - Accuretic may affect your blood sugar. Check blood sugar levels closely. Ask your doctor before you change the dose of your diabetes medicine.
- Lab tests, including liver function, kidney function, blood pressure, blood counts, and blood electrolytes, may be performed while you use Accuretic . These tests may be used to monitor your condition or check for side effects. Be sure to keep all doctor and lab appointments.
- Use Accuretic with caution in the ELDERLY; they may be more sensitive to its effects.
- Accuretic should be used with extreme caution in CHILDREN; safety and effectiveness in children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: Do not use Accuretic if you are pregnant. It has been shown
to cause death to the fetus and newborn. Avoid becoming pregnant while you are taking it. If you think you may be pregnant, contact your doctor right away. Accuretic is found in breast milk. Do not breast-feed while taking Accuretic .
Possible side effects of Accuretic :
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Diarrhea; difficulty breathing, dizziness, or lightheadedness when sitting up or standing; fatigue; headache; loss of appetite; nausea; persistent dry cough; tiredness.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing;
tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); chest pain; darkening of urine; decrease in the amount of urine; drowsiness; dry mouth; fainting; fast, slow, or irregular heartbeat; fever, chills, or sore throat; prolonged nausea, vomiting, or
diarrhea; restlessness; severe dizziness or lightheadedness; unusual joint pain; unusual muscle pain, cramps, or weakness;
unusual or severe stomach pain; unusual thirst; unusual tiredness or weakness;
unusual weight gain; yellowing of the skin or eyes.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions or need medical advice about side effects, contact your doctor or health care provider. You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
(1-800-332-1088) or at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org/findyour.htm), or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include dry mouth; excessive urination followed by a decrease in the amount of urine; fast, slow, or irregular heartbeat;
muscle cramps; severe
dizziness; severe weakness.
Proper storage of Accuretic :
Store Accuretic at room temperature, between 68 and 77 degrees F
(20 and 25 degrees C), in a tightly-closed container. Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Accuretic out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Accuretic , please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Accuretic is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Accuretic . If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
Issue Date: November 1, 2006
Database Edition 06.4.1.002
Copyright © 2006 Wolters Kluwer Health, Inc.
zccuretic, sccuretic, wccuretic, qccuretic, axcuretic, avcuretic, afcuretic, adcuretic, acxuretic, acvuretic, acfuretic, acduretic, accyretic, acchretic, accjretic, acciretic, acc8retic, acc7retic, accueetic, accudetic, accufetic, accutetic, accu5etic, accu4etic, accurwtic, accurstic, accurdtic, accurrtic, accur4tic, accur3tic, accureric, accurefic, accuregic, accureyic, accure6ic, accure5ic, accuretuc, accuretjc, accuretkc, accuretoc, accuret9c, accuret8c, accuretix, accuretiv, accuretif, accuretid, ccuretic, acuretic, acuretic, accretic, accuetic, accurtic, accureic, accuretc, accureti, cacuretic, acucretic, accruetic, accuertic, accurteic, accureitc, accuretci, aaccuretic, acccuretic, acccuretic, accuuretic, accurretic, accureetic, accurettic, accuretiic, accureticc, etc.