|Drugs search, click the first letter of a drug name: | A | B | C | D | E | F | G | H | I | J | K | L | M | N | O | P | Q | R | S | T | U | V | W | X | Y | Z | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 8 | 9
Generic Name: Decitabine (dee-SYE-ta-been)
Brand Name: Dacogen
Dacogen is used for:
Treating myelodysplastic syndromes (MDS) (eg, certain types of anemia or leukemia).
Dacogen is a nucleoside analog. It works by blocking cell growth.
Do NOT use Dacogen if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Dacogen
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Dacogen :
Some medical conditions may interact with Dacogen . Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have liver or kidney problems
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Dacogen . However, no specific interactions with Dacogen are known at this time.
Ask your health care provider if Dacogen may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Dacogen :
Use Dacogen as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Dacogen is usually given as an injection at your doctor"s office, hospital, or clinic. If you will be using Dacogen at home, a health care provider will teach you how to use it. Be sure you understand how to use Dacogen . Follow the procedures you are taught when you use a dose. Contact your health care provider if you have any
- Do not use Dacogen if it contains particles, is cloudy or discolored, or if the vial is cracked or damaged.
- If you miss a dose of Dacogen , contact your doctor right away.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Dacogen .
Important safety information:
- Dacogen may cause dizziness or blurred vision. These effects may be worse if you take it with alcohol or certain medicines. Use Dacogen with caution. Do not drive or perform other possibly unsafe tasks until you know how you react to it.
- Dacogen may lower the ability of your body to fight infection. Avoid contact with people who have colds or infections. Tell your doctor if you notice signs of infection like fever, sore throat, rash, or chills.
- Dacogen may raise your blood sugar. High blood sugar may make you feel confused, drowsy, or thirsty. It can also make you flush,
breathe faster, or have a fruit-like breath odor. If these symptoms occur, tell your doctor right away.
- Men who take Dacogen should always use a condom when having sex with a woman who may become pregnant. Do this for as long as you take Dacogen and for 2 months after you stop taking it.
- Dacogen may reduce the number of clot-forming cells (platelets)
in your blood. Avoid activities that may cause bruising or injury. Tell your doctor if you have unusual bruising or bleeding. Tell your doctor if you have dark, tarry, or bloody stools.
- Lab tests, including complete blood and platelet counts and liver and kidney function tests, may be performed while you use Dacogen . These tests may be used to monitor your condition or check for side effects. Be sure to keep all doctor and lab appointments.
- Dacogen should be used with extreme caution in CHILDREN; safety and effectiveness in
children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: Dacogen may cause harm to the fetus. Do not become pregnant while you are using it. If you think you may be pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Dacogen while you are pregnant. It is not known if Dacogen is found in breast milk. Do not breast-feed while using Dacogen .
Possible side effects of Dacogen :
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Constipation; cough; diarrhea; dizziness; hair loss; headache; joint or muscle pain; loss of appetite; nausea; stomach pain or upset; trouble sleeping;
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing;
tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); change
in the amount of urine you produce; chest pain; confusion; depression; difficulty swallowing; fainting; fast or irregular heartbeat; fever, chills, or sore throat; numbness of an arm or leg; one-sided weakness; pain, swelling, or redness at the injection site; severe headache or dizziness; severe stomach pain or vomiting; shortness of breath; sores or white patches in the mouth;
swelling; unusual bruising or bleeding; unusual tiredness or weakness; vision or speech changes.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions or need medical advice about side effects, contact your doctor or health care provider. You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
(1-800-332-1088) or at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (
http://www.aapcc.org/findyour.htm), or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include fever, chills, sore throat, or unusual bruising or bleeding.
Proper storage of Dacogen :
Dacogen is usually handled and stored by a health care provider. If you are using Dacogen at home, store Dacogen as directed by your pharmacist or health care provider. Keep Dacogen out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Dacogen , please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Dacogen is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Dacogen . If you
have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
Issue Date: November 1, 2006
Database Edition 06.4.1.002
Copyright © 2006 Wolters Kluwer Health, Inc.
sacogen, xacogen, cacogen, facogen, racogen, eacogen, dzcogen, dscogen, dwcogen, dqcogen, daxogen, davogen, dafogen, dadogen, dacigen, dackgen, daclgen, dacpgen, dac0gen, dac9gen, dacofen, dacoven, dacoben, dacohen, dacoyen, dacoten, dacogwn, dacogsn, dacogdn, dacogrn, dacog4n, dacog3n, dacogeb, dacogem, dacogej, dacogeh, acogen, dcogen, daogen, dacgen, dacoen, dacogn, dacoge, adcogen, dcaogen, daocgen, dacgoen, dacoegn, dacogne, ddacogen, daacogen, daccogen, dacoogen, dacoggen, dacogeen, dacogenn, etc.