|Drugs search, click the first letter of a drug name: | A | B | C | D | E | F | G | H | I | J | K | L | M | N | O | P | Q | R | S | T | U | V | W | X | Y | Z | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 8 | 9
Generic Name: Dalteparin (dal-TE-pa-rin)
Brand Name: Fragmin
Patients undergoing anesthesia or a spinal puncture (tap) while on Dalteparin are at risk for long-term or permanent paralysis. Notify your doctor immediately if you notice any numbness or decreased muscle control.
Dalteparin is used for:
Preventing the formation of blood clots in patients with a higher risk of forming blood clots because of immobility and/or having certain types of surgeries. It may also be used with aspirin to prevent complications from certain types of heart attacks or unstable chest pain. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Dalteparin is an anticoagulant. It works by thinning the blood.
Do NOT use Dalteparin if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Dalteparin or to heparin or pork products
- you have uncontrolled major
- you have uncontrolled high blood pressure
- you are receiving Dalteparin for unstable chest pain or heart attack and will be receiving local anesthesia
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Dalteparin :
Some medical conditions may interact with Dalteparin . Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have a blood clotting problems, liver disease, kidney problems, or Von Willebrand disease
- if you have had a recent spinal tap or other spinal surgery,
neurosurgery, or eye surgery
- if you have low platelet counts associated with heparin use, severe high blood pressure, a bacterial infection of the heart, a stomach or intestinal ulcer, a bleeding disorder, or vision problems caused by diabetes or high blood pressure, or you have had a stroke
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Dalteparin . Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Activated protein C, cephalosporins given by injection (eg, ceftazidime, ceftriaxone), nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) (eg, ibuprofen, naproxen), penicillins given by injection (eg, ampicillin), salicylates (eg, aspirin), or thrombolytics (eg, streptokinase) because the risk of side effects, such as bleeding, may be increased
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Dalteparin
may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Dalteparin :
Use Dalteparin as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Dalteparin is usually administered as an injection at your doctor"s office, hospital, or clinic. If you are using Dalteparin at home, carefully follow the injection procedures taught to you by your health care provider.
- If Dalteparin contains particles or is discolored, or if the vial is cracked or damaged in any way, do not use it.
- Dalteparin should be given while sitting or lying down.
- Use the proper technique taught to you by your doctor. Inject deep under the skin, NOT into muscle.
- Dalteparin may be injected in a U-shape around the navel, the upper outer thigh, or the upper outer section of the buttock. The injection site
should be changed daily. When injection around the navel or thigh is used, a fold of skin must be held by the thumb and forefinger while the injection is given. The entire needle should be injected at a 45 to 90 degree angle.
- Fixed dose syringes - To ensure delivery of the full dose, do not expel the air bubble from the prefilled syringe before injection. Hold the syringe assembly by the open sides of the device. Remove the needle shield. Insert the needle into the injection area. Depress the plunger of the syringe while holding the finger flange until the entire dose remaining in the syringe has been given. The needle guard will not be activated unless the entire dose has been given. Remove the needle from the patient. Let go of the plunger and allow the syringe to move up inside the device until the entire needle is guarded. Discard the assembly in approved containers.
- Keep this product, as well as syringes and needles, out of the reach of children and away from
pets. Do not reuse needles, syringes, or other materials. Dispose of properly after use. Ask your doctor or pharmacist to explain local regulations for proper disposal.
- If you miss a dose of Dalteparin , contact your doctor immediately.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Dalteparin .
Important safety information:
- Dalteparin may reduce the number of clot-forming cells (platelets)
in your blood. To prevent bleeding, avoid situations in which bruising or injury may occur. Report any unusual bleeding, bruising, blood in stools, or dark, tarry stools to your doctor.
- Before you have any medical or dental treatments, emergency care, or surgery, tell the doctor or dentist that you are using Dalteparin .
- LAB TESTS, such as blood cell counts, platelet counts, and checks for blood in the stools, may be performed to monitor your progress or to check for side effects. Be
sure to keep all doctor and lab appointments.
- Dalteparin is not recommended for use in CHILDREN. Safety and effectiveness have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: Dalteparin contains the preservative benzyl alcohol, which can cause harm to the fetus. If you become pregnant, use a formulation without this preservative. If you become pregnant, discuss with your doctor the benefits and risks of using Dalteparin during pregnancy. It is unknown if Dalteparin is excreted in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you are using Dalteparin , check with your doctor or pharmacist to discuss the risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Dalteparin :
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Blood in the urine; confusion; diarrhea; pain, swelling, redness, or bruising at the injection site.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); chills; fever;
serious bleeding; skin death.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions or need medical advice about side effects, contact your doctor or health care provider. You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088) or at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
Proper storage of Dalteparin :
Store Dalteparin at room temperature, between 66 and 77 degrees F
(20 and 25 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Keep Dalteparin out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Dalteparin , please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Dalteparin is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Dalteparin . If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
Issue Date: November 1, 2006
Database Edition 06.4.1.002
Copyright © 2006 Wolters Kluwer Health, Inc.
salteparin, xalteparin, calteparin, falteparin, ralteparin, ealteparin, dzlteparin, dslteparin, dwlteparin, dqlteparin, dakteparin, dapteparin, daoteparin, dalreparin, dalfeparin, dalgeparin, dalyeparin, dal6eparin, dal5eparin, daltwparin, daltsparin, daltdparin, daltrparin, dalt4parin, dalt3parin, dalteoarin, daltelarin, dalte-arin, dalte0arin, daltepzrin, daltepsrin, daltepwrin, daltepqrin, daltepaein, daltepadin, daltepafin, daltepatin, daltepa5in, daltepa4in, dalteparun, dalteparjn, dalteparkn, dalteparon, daltepar9n, daltepar8n, dalteparib, dalteparim, dalteparij, dalteparih, alteparin, dlteparin, dateparin, daleparin, daltparin, daltearin, dalteprin, daltepain, dalteparn, daltepari, adlteparin, dlateparin, datleparin, daletparin, daltpearin, dalteaprin, dalteprain, daltepairn, dalteparni, ddalteparin, daalteparin, dallteparin, daltteparin, dalteeparin, daltepparin, daltepaarin, dalteparrin, daltepariin, dalteparinn, etc.