|Drugs search, click the first letter of a drug name: | A | B | C | D | E | F | G | H | I | J | K | L | M | N | O | P | Q | R | S | T | U | V | W | X | Y | Z | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 8 | 9
Generic Name: Daptomycin (DAP-toe-MYE-sin)
Brand Name: Cubicin
Daptomycin is used for:
Treating serious infections caused by certain bacteria. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Daptomycin is an antibiotic. It works by killing sensitive bacteria.
Do NOT use Daptomycin if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Daptomycin
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Daptomycin :
Some medical conditions may interact with Daptomycin . Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal
preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have muscle problems, nerve problems, severe liver disease, kidney problems, or bowel problems caused by antibiotic use
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Daptomycin . Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- HMG-CoA reductase inhibitors (eg, atorvastatin) or warfarin because the risk of their side effects may be increased by Daptomycin
- Tobramycin because its effectiveness may be decreased by Daptomycin
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Daptomycin may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Daptomycin :
medicine as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Daptomycin is usually given as an injection at your doctor"s office, hospital, or clinic. If you will be using Daptomycin at home, a health care provider will teach you how to use it. Be sure you understand how to use Daptomycin . Follow the procedures you are taught when you use a dose. Contact your health care provider if you have any questions.
- Do not use Daptomycin if it contains particles, is cloudy or discolored, or if the vial is cracked or damaged.
- To clear up your infection completely, use Daptomycin for the full course of treatment. Keep using it even if you feel better in a few days.
- Keep this product, as well as syringes and needles, out of the reach of children and pets. Do not reuse needles, syringes, or other materials. Ask your health care provider how to dispose of these materials after use. Follow all local rules for
- If you miss a dose of Daptomycin , use it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not use 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Daptomycin .
Important safety information:
- Daptomycin may cause dizziness. These effects may be worse if you take it with alcohol or certain medicines. Use Daptomycin with caution. Do not drive or perform other possibly unsafe tasks until you know how you react to it.
- Daptomycin only works against bacteria; it does not treat viral infections
(eg, the common cold).
- Contact your doctor right away if stomach pain or cramps, severe diarrhea, or bloody stools occur. Do not treat diarrhea without first checking with your doctor.
- Be sure to use Daptomycin for the full course of treatment. If you do not, the medicine may
not clear up your infection completely. The bacteria could also become less sensitive to this or other medicines. This could make the infection harder to treat in the future.
- Long-term or repeated use of Daptomycin may cause a second infection. Tell your doctor if signs of a second infection occur. Your medicine may need to be changed to treat this.
- Lab tests, including white blood cell counts and creatine phosphokinase, may be performed while you use Daptomycin . These tests may be used to monitor your condition or check for side effects. Be sure to keep all doctor and lab appointments.
- Use Daptomycin with caution in the ELDERLY; they may be more sensitive to its effects.
- Daptomycin should be used with extreme caution in CHILDREN younger than 18 years old; safety and effectiveness in these children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You
will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Daptomycin while you are pregnant. It is not known if Daptomycin is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Daptomycin , check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Daptomycin :
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Constipation; diarrhea; dizziness; headache; nausea; pain, swelling, or redness at the injection site; sleeplessness; sore throat; sweating; vomiting.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing;
chest pain; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); bloody stools; change in the amount of urine produced; fever; muscle pain or weakness; numbness, tingling, or swelling of the hands or feet; severe diarrhea; stomach cramps/pain;
unusual tiredness or weakness.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions or need medical advice about side effects, contact your doctor or health care provider. You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
(1-800-332-1088) or at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org/findyour.htm), or emergency room immediately.
Proper storage of Daptomycin :
Daptomycin is usually handled and stored by a health care provider. If you are using Daptomycin at home, store Daptomycin as directed by your pharmacist or health care provider. Keep Daptomycin out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Daptomycin , please talk with
your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Daptomycin is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Daptomycin . If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
Issue Date: November 1, 2006
Database Edition 06.4.1.002
Copyright © 2006 Wolters Kluwer Health, Inc.
saptomycin, xaptomycin, captomycin, faptomycin, raptomycin, eaptomycin, dzptomycin, dsptomycin, dwptomycin, dqptomycin, daotomycin, daltomycin, da-tomycin, da0tomycin, dapromycin, dapfomycin, dapgomycin, dapyomycin, dap6omycin, dap5omycin, daptimycin, daptkmycin, daptlmycin, daptpmycin, dapt0mycin, dapt9mycin, daptonycin, daptokycin, daptojycin, daptomtcin, daptomgcin, daptomhcin, daptomucin, daptom7cin, daptom6cin, daptomyxin, daptomyvin, daptomyfin, daptomydin, daptomycun, daptomycjn, daptomyckn, daptomycon, daptomyc9n, daptomyc8n, daptomycib, daptomycim, daptomycij, daptomycih, aptomycin, dptomycin, datomycin, dapomycin, daptmycin, daptoycin, daptomcin, daptomyin, daptomycn, daptomyci, adptomycin, dpatomycin, datpomycin, dapotmycin, daptmoycin, daptoymcin, daptomcyin, daptomyicn, daptomycni, ddaptomycin, daaptomycin, dapptomycin, dapttomycin, daptoomycin, daptommycin, daptomyycin, daptomyccin, daptomyciin, daptomycinn, etc.