|Drugs search, click the first letter of a drug name: | A | B | C | D | E | F | G | H | I | J | K | L | M | N | O | P | Q | R | S | T | U | V | W | X | Y | Z | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 8 | 9
Generic Name: Doxycycline Injection (dox-ee-SIGH-kleen)
Brand Name: Examples include Doxy 100 and Doxy 200
Doxy 100 is used for:
Treating a wide variety of infections caused by certain bacteria. It may also be used to prevent or slow the progression of anthrax after exposure. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor, which may not be listed in the professional package insert.
Doxy 100 is a tetracycline antibiotic. It works by interfering with the production of proteins needed by the bacteria to grow. Slowing bacterial growth allows the body"s defense mechanisms (eg, white blood cells) to destroy them.
Do NOT use Doxy 100 if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Doxy 100 or another tetracycline
- you are taking acitretin, oral contraceptives (birth control pills), or penicillins
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Doxy 100 :
Some medical conditions may interact with Doxy 100 . Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have diarrhea, a stomach or intestinal infection, or the blood disease porphyria
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Doxy 100 . Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Barbiturates (eg, phenobarbital),
carbamazepine, hydantoins (eg, phenytoin), or penicillinsbecause they may decrease Doxy 100 "s effectiveness
- Acitretin or isotretinoin because side effects, such as increased pressure inside the skull (resulting in severe headaches and vision problems) may occur
- Anticoagulants (eg, warfarin), methotrexate, or methoxyflurane because the actions and side effects of these medicines may be increased
- Oral contraceptives (birth control pills) because their effectiveness may be decreased by Doxy 100
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Doxy 100 may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Doxy 100 :
Doxy 100 as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Doxy 100 is usually given as an injection at your doctor"s office, hospital, or clinic. If you will be using Doxy 100 at home, a health care provider will teach you how to use it. Be sure you understand how to use Doxy 100 . Follow the procedures you are taught when you use a dose. Contact your health care provider if you have any questions.
- Do not use Doxy 100 if it contains particles, is cloudy or discolored, or if the vial is cracked or damaged.
- Doxy 100 works best if it is used at the same time each day.
- To clear up your infection completely, use Doxy 100 for the full course of treatment. Keep using it even if you feel better in a few days.
- If your doctor directs you to switch to medicine that you take by mouth, be sure you understand how to take it.
- If you miss a dose of Doxy 100 ,
use it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not use 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Doxy 100 .
Important safety information:
- Be sure to use Doxy 100 for the full course of treatment. If you do not, the medicine may not clear up your infection completely. The bacteria could also become less sensitive to this or other medicines. This could make the infection harder to treat in the future.
- Long-term or repeated use of Doxy 100 may cause a second infection. Tell your doctor if signs of a second infection occur. Your medicine may need to be changed to treat this.
- Contact your doctor right away if stomach pain or cramps, severe diarrhea, or bloody stools occur. Do not treat diarrhea without first checking with your doctor.
- Doxy 100 may cause you to become
sunburned more easily. Avoid the sun, sunlamps, or tanning booths until you know how you react to Doxy 100 . Use a sunscreen or wear protective clothing if you must be outside for more than a short time.
- Hormonal birth control (eg, birth control pills) may not work as well while you are using Doxy 100 . To prevent pregnancy, use an extra form of birth control (eg, condoms).
- Lab tests may be performed while you use Doxy 100 . These tests may be used to monitor your condition or check for side effects. Be sure to keep all doctor and lab appointments.
- Doxy 100 should not be used in CHILDREN younger than 8 years old;
permanent tooth discoloration (yellow-gray-brown) may occur.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: Doxy 100 has been shown to cause harm to the fetus. If you think you may be pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of
using Doxy 100 while you are pregnant. Doxy 100 is found in breast milk. Do not breast-feed while taking Doxy 100 .
Possible side effects of Doxy 100 :
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Diarrhea; difficulty swallowing; inflammation of the tongue; loss of appetite; nausea; purple patches under the skin; sensitivity to sunlight;
skin inflammation in the anal and genital areas; vomiting.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing;
tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); bulging soft spots in infants; headache and/or blurred vision; increased pressure in the head; pain, swelling, or redness at injection site; vaginal irritation or discharge; severe reaction to the sun.
This is not
a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions or need medical advice about side effects, contact your doctor or health care provider. You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
(1-800-332-1088) or at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org/findyour.htm), or emergency room immediately.
Proper storage of Doxy 100 :
Store mixed powder at 77 degrees F (25 degrees C) for up to 48 hours. Mixed solution is stable under fluorescent light for 48 hours, but must be protected from direct sunlight during storage and administration. Mixed solution may be stored up to 72 hours before administration if refrigerated and protected from sunlight and artificial light. Infusion must be completed within 12 hours of mixing. Throw away any unused portion. Keep this
medicine out of the reach of children and away from pets.
When frozen immediately after mixing in sterile water, the solution is stable for up to 8 weeks when stored at 68 degrees F (20 degrees C). If the product is warmed, avoid heating it after the thawing is complete. Do not refreeze the solution once it has been thawed.
- If you have any questions about Doxy 100 , please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Doxy 100 is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Doxy 100 . If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
Issue Date: November 1, 2006
Database Edition 06.4.1.002
Copyright © 2006 Wolters Kluwer Health, Inc.
soxy 100, xoxy 100, coxy 100, foxy 100, roxy 100, eoxy 100, dixy 100, dkxy 100, dlxy 100, dpxy 100, d0xy 100, d9xy 100, dozy 100, docy 100, dody 100, dosy 100, doxt 100, doxg 100, doxh 100, doxu 100, dox7 100, dox6 100, doxy 200, doxy q00, doxy 190, doxy 1o0, doxy 1p0, doxy 1-0, doxy 109, doxy 10o, doxy 10p, doxy 10-, oxy 100, dxy 100, doy 100, dox 100, doxy100, doxy 00, doxy 10, doxy 10, odxy 100, dxoy 100, doyx 100, dox y100, doxy1 00, doxy 010, ddoxy 100, dooxy 100, doxxy 100, doxyy 100, doxy 100, doxy 1100, doxy 1000, doxy 1000, etc.