|Drugs search, click the first letter of a drug name: | A | B | C | D | E | F | G | H | I | J | K | L | M | N | O | P | Q | R | S | T | U | V | W | X | Y | Z | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 8 | 9
Generic Name: Fludrocortisone (floo-droe-KOR-ti-sone)
Brand Name: Florinef
Florinef is used for:
Treating adrenocortical insufficiency in Addison disease and for treating salt-losing adrenogenital syndrome.
Florinef is a corticosteroid. It works by causing the kidneys to retain sodium and acting as a replacement for cortisone when the body does not produce enough.
Do NOT use Florinef if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Florinef
- you have a systemic fungal infection
- you are scheduled to have a smallpox vaccination
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Florinef :
Some medical conditions may interact with Florinef . Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you are scheduled for a vaccination with a live virus vaccine (eg, smallpox)
- if you have a history of an underactive thyroid, liver or kidney problems, heart problems or heart attack, bleeding problems, diabetes, high blood pressure, inflammation of the esophagus, stomach problems (eg, ulcers), bowel blockage or other bowel problems (eg, ulcerative colitis), recent bowel surgery, myasthenia gravis, or mental or mood problems (eg, depression)
- if you have measles, chickenpox, herpes infection of the eye, or any other type of bacterial, fungal, parasitic, or viral infection
- if you have recently had tuberculosis (TB) or have had a positive skin
test for TB
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Florinef . Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Anabolic steroids (eg, oxymetholone) or aprepitant because side effects of Florinef may be increased
- Barbiturates (eg, phenobarbital), carbamazepine, estrogens, hydantoins
(eg, phenytoin), or rifampin because the effectiveness of Florinef may be decreased
- Amphotericin B, azole antifungals (eg, ketoconazole), clarithromycin, digoxin, loop diuretics (eg, furosemide), steroidal contraceptives (eg, desogestrel), thiazide diuretics (eg, hydrochlorothiazide), or troleandomycin because side effects, such as weakness, confusion, muscle aches, irregular heartbeat, joint pain, or low blood sugar, may occur
- Methotrexate or ritodrine because the actions and side effects of these medicines may be increased
- Hydantoins (eg,
phenytoin), live vaccines, or smallpox vaccine because the effectiveness of these medicines may be decreased
- Anticoagulants (eg, warfarin) or aspirin because the actions and side effects of these medicines may be increased or decreased
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Florinef may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Florinef :
Use Florinef as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Florinef may be taken with or without food. If stomach upset occurs, take with food to reduce stomach irritation.
- If Florinef needs to be stopped (or if a different medicine is added to therapy) by your doctor, this will be done gradually. The risk of side
effects may be increased if Florinef is suddenly stopped.
- If you miss a dose of Florinef , take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Florinef .
Important safety information:
- Florinef may cause dizziness. Do not drive, operate machinery, or do anything else that could be dangerous until you know how you react to Florinef . Using Florinef alone, with certain other medicines, or with alcohol may lessen your ability to drive or perform other potentially dangerous tasks.
- Florinef may lower your body"s ability to fight infection, especially if taken over a longer period of time. Prevent infection by avoiding contact with people with colds or other infections. Notify your doctor of any signs of
infection, including fever, sore throat, rash, or chills.
- If you have not had chickenpox or measles, avoid contact with anyone who has any of these diseases. If you are exposed to anyone with chickenpox or measles, contact your doctor right away.
- Carry an identification card at all times that says you are taking Florinef .
- Before you have any medical or dental treatments, emergency care, or surgery, tell the doctor or dentist that you are using Florinef .
- Long-term use may cause cataracts, glaucoma, and eye infections. Contact your doctor right away if you develop any unusual changes in your vision.
- Florinef may cause an increase in blood pressure, salt and water retention, and calcium and potassium loss. Talk with your doctor to see if you need to decrease the amount of salt in your diet or take a calcium or vitamin D supplement.
- Avoid vaccinations with live virus vaccines (eg, measles, mumps, oral
polio) while you are taking Florinef . Vaccinations may be less effective.
- Diabetes patients - Florinef may affect your blood sugar. Check blood sugar levels closely and ask your doctor before adjusting the dose of your diabetes medicine.
- LAB TESTS, including blood electrolytes, blood calcium levels, blood pressure, and vision tests may be performed to monitor your progress or to check for side effects. Be sure to keep all doctor and lab appointments.
- Caution is advised when using Florinef in CHILDREN because they may be more sensitive to its effects.
- Corticosteroids may affect the growth rate in CHILDREN and adolescents in some instances. Your child"s growth may need to be checked regularly while using Florinef .
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant while taking Florinef , discuss with your doctor the benefits and risks of using Florinef during
pregnancy. Florinef is excreted in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you are using Florinef , check with your doctor or pharmacist to discuss the risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Florinef :
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Difficulty sleeping; dizziness or lightheadedness; headache; increased appetite; increased sweating; indigestion; nervousness.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); black, tarry stools; changes in menstrual periods; chest pain; eye pain or increased pressure in the eye; fever, chills, or sore throat;
joint or bone pain; mood or mental changes (eg, depression); muscle pain or weakness; seizures; severe or
persistent headache; severe or persistent nausea or vomiting; stomach pain or bloating; swelling of feet or legs; trouble sleeping;
unusual weight gain or loss; vision changes; vomiting material that looks like coffee grounds.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions or need medical advice about side effects, contact your doctor or health care provider. You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088) or at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org/findyour.htm), or emergency room immediately.
Proper storage of Florinef :
Store Florinef at room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F
(15 and 30 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not
store in the bathroom. Keep Florinef out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Florinef , please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Florinef is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Florinef . If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
Issue Date: November 1, 2006
Database Edition 06.4.1.002
Copyright © 2006 Wolters Kluwer Health, Inc.
dlorinef, clorinef, vlorinef, glorinef, tlorinef, rlorinef, fkorinef, fporinef, foorinef, flirinef, flkrinef, fllrinef, flprinef, fl0rinef, fl9rinef, floeinef, flodinef, flofinef, flotinef, flo5inef, flo4inef, florunef, florjnef, florknef, floronef, flor9nef, flor8nef, floribef, florimef, florijef, florihef, florinwf, florinsf, florindf, florinrf, florin4f, florin3f, florined, florinec, florinev, florineg, florinet, floriner, lorinef, forinef, flrinef, floinef, flornef, florief, florinf, florine, lforinef, folrinef, flroinef, floirnef, flornief, florienf, florinfe, fflorinef, fllorinef, floorinef, florrinef, floriinef, florinnef, florineef, florineff, etc.