|Drugs search, click the first letter of a drug name: | A | B | C | D | E | F | G | H | I | J | K | L | M | N | O | P | Q | R | S | T | U | V | W | X | Y | Z | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 8 | 9
Generic Name: Fluphenazine Tablets (floo-FEN-a-zeen)
Brand Name: Generic only. No brands available.
Fluphenazine is used for:
Treating certain mental or mood disorders (eg, schizophrenia). It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Fluphenazine is a phenothiazine. It is not known exactly how it works.
Do NOT use Fluphenazine if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Fluphenazine or similar medicines
- you have known or suspected brain damage, liver damage, or blood or bone marrow problems (eg, low blood platelet levels, low white blood cell count)
- you have recently taken large amounts of alcohol or CNS depressant medicines, such as barbiturates (eg, phenobarbital) or narcotic pain medicines (eg, codeine)
- you are taking astemizole, dofetilide, pergolide, or terfenadine
doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Fluphenazine:
Some medical conditions may interact with Fluphenazine. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have a history of heart problems, low blood pressure, blood problems, problems with the blood vessels in your brain, liver problems (eg, cirrhosis), kidney problems, enlarged prostate gland, seizures or epilepsy, Parkinson disease, adrenal gland tumor (eg, pheochromocytoma), or Reye syndrome
- if you have asthma, lung infection, or other lung
problems (eg, emphysema);
increased pressure in the eyes; glaucoma; or if you are at risk for glaucoma
- if you are regularly exposed to extreme heat or phosphorus insecticides
- if you have a history of alcohol abuse or if you drink more than 3 alcohol-containing drinks per day
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Fluphenazine. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Astemizole, dofetilide, haloperidol, ketolides (eg, telithromycin), macrolide antibiotics (eg, erythromycin), pimozide, SSRI antidepressants (eg, fluoxetine), or terfenadine because the risk of side effects, such as racing heartbeat, dizziness, fainting, and life-threatening irregular heartbeat leading to unconsciousness, may be increased by Fluphenazine
(eg, atropine) because they may decrease the effectiveness of Fluphenazine
- Guanethidine, levodopa, or pergolide because their effectiveness may be decreased by Fluphenazine
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Fluphenazine may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Fluphenazine:
Use Fluphenazine as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Fluphenazine may be taken with or without food. If stomach upset occurs, take with food to reduce stomach irritation.
- Continue to use Fluphenazine even if you feel well. Do not miss any doses.
- If you miss a dose of Fluphenazine, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed
dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Fluphenazine.
Important safety information:
- Fluphenazine may cause drowsiness, dizziness, or blurred vision. Do not drive, operate machinery, or do anything else that could be dangerous until you know how you react to Fluphenazine. Using Fluphenazine alone, with certain other medicines, or with alcohol may lessen your ability to drive or perform other potentially dangerous tasks.
- Avoid drinking alcohol or taking other medications that cause drowsiness
(eg, sedatives, tranquilizers) while taking Fluphenazine. Fluphenazine will add to the effects of alcohol and other depressants. Ask your pharmacist if you have questions about which medicines are depressants.
- Alcohol, hot weather, exercise, and fever can increase the risk of dizziness, lightheadedness, or fainting. To
prevent these effects, sit up or stand slowly, especially in the morning. Also, sit or lie down at the first sign of dizziness, lightheadedness, or weakness.
- Do not become overheated in hot weather or during exercise or other activities because heatstroke may occur.
- Fluphenazine may cause increased sensitivity to the sun. Avoid exposure to the sun, sunlamps, or tanning booths until you know how you react to Fluphenazine. Use a sunscreen or protective clothing if you must be outside for a prolonged period.
- Involuntary and uncontrollable movements may develop with use of Fluphenazine. Occurrence is highest among the elderly, especially women. The risk of developing these involuntary movements and the likelihood they will become permanent are increased with long-term use and with high doses. However, it is possible to develop these symptoms after short-term treatment at low doses. Contact your doctor at once if any of the following occur: involuntary
movements of tongue, face, mouth, or jaw (eg, sticking out of the tongue, puffing of cheeks, puckering of mouth, chewing movements), or involuntary movements of the arms and legs.
- Neuroleptic malignant syndrome (NMS) is a serious side effect associated with Fluphenazine. Symptoms include increased body heat; muscle rigidness;
altered mental abilities, including lack of response to your surroundings;
irregular or fast heartbeat; or sweating. Contact your doctor at once if any of these symptoms occur.
- Before you have any medical or dental treatments, emergency care, or surgery, tell the doctor or dentist that you are using Fluphenazine.
- Fluphenazine may cause false results in some pregnancy tests. Check with your doctor if you have any questions or concerns. Make sure your doctor and laboratory personnel know you are using Fluphenazine.
- LAB TESTS, including liver and kidney function tests,
complete blood cell counts, and eye exams, may be performed to monitor your progress or to check for side effects. Be sure to keep all doctor and lab appointments.
- Use Fluphenazine with caution in the ELDERLY because they may be more sensitive to its effects, especially dizziness, light-headedness (especially upon standing), rapid heartbeat, breathing problems, urinary retention, and constipation.
- Use Fluphenazine with extreme caution in CHILDREN. Safety and effectiveness have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, discuss with your doctor the benefits and risks of using Fluphenazine during pregnancy. Fluphenazine is excreted in breast milk. Do not breast-feed while taking Fluphenazine.
If you suddenly stop taking Fluphenazine, especially if you have been taking high doses, you may experience WITHDRAWAL
symptoms, including nausea, vomiting, dizziness, and tremors.
Possible side effects of Fluphenazine:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Agitation; bizarre dreams; constipation; dizziness; drowsiness; dry mouth; headache; loss of appetite; nausea; stuffy nose.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); changes in menstrual period; changes in sexual ability; chest pain; dark urine; difficulty swallowing; drooling; fainting;
fast or irregular heartbeat; fever, chills, or sore throat; involuntary movements or spasms of the arms, legs, tongue, face, mouth, or jaw; mask-like face;
muscle restlessness; prolonged or painful erection; restlessness;
seizures; severe or
persistent dizziness; severe constipation; shuffling walk;
sleeplessness; sore mouth or gums; stiff or rigid muscles; stomach pain; sweating;
trouble urinating; unusual bruising or bleeding; unusual eye movements or inability to move eyes; unusual mood or mental changes, including lack of response to your surroundings; vision changes; weakness of arms or legs; yellowing of the skin or eyes.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions or need medical advice about side effects, contact your doctor or health care provider. You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088) or at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org/findyour.htm), or emergency room immediately. Symptoms
may include deep sleep or loss of consciousness; muscle spasms; restlessness; seizures; tremors; twitching.
Proper storage of Fluphenazine:
Store Fluphenazine at room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F
(15 and 30 degrees C), in a tightly closed container. Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Fluphenazine out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Fluphenazine, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Fluphenazine is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- If using Fluphenazine for an extended period of time, obtain refills before your supply runs out.
This information is a summary only. It does not
contain all information about Fluphenazine. If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
Issue Date: November 1, 2006
Database Edition 06.4.1.002
Copyright © 2006 Wolters Kluwer Health, Inc.
dluphenazine tablets, cluphenazine tablets, vluphenazine tablets, gluphenazine tablets, tluphenazine tablets, rluphenazine tablets, fkuphenazine tablets, fpuphenazine tablets, fouphenazine tablets, flyphenazine tablets, flhphenazine tablets, fljphenazine tablets, fliphenazine tablets, fl8phenazine tablets, fl7phenazine tablets, fluohenazine tablets, flulhenazine tablets, flu-henazine tablets, flu0henazine tablets, flupgenazine tablets, flupbenazine tablets, flupnenazine tablets, flupjenazine tablets, flupuenazine tablets, flupyenazine tablets, fluphwnazine tablets, fluphsnazine tablets, fluphdnazine tablets, fluphrnazine tablets, fluph4nazine tablets, fluph3nazine tablets, fluphebazine tablets, fluphemazine tablets, fluphejazine tablets, fluphehazine tablets, fluphenzzine tablets, fluphenszine tablets, fluphenwzine tablets, fluphenqzine tablets, fluphenaxine tablets, fluphenasine tablets, fluphenaaine tablets, fluphenazune tablets, fluphenazjne tablets, fluphenazkne tablets, fluphenazone tablets, fluphenaz9ne tablets, fluphenaz8ne tablets, fluphenazibe tablets, fluphenazime tablets, fluphenazije tablets, fluphenazihe tablets, fluphenazinw tablets, fluphenazins tablets, fluphenazind tablets, fluphenazinr tablets, fluphenazin4 tablets, fluphenazin3 tablets, fluphenazine rablets, fluphenazine fablets, fluphenazine gablets, fluphenazine yablets, fluphenazine 6ablets, fluphenazine 5ablets, fluphenazine tzblets, fluphenazine tsblets, fluphenazine twblets, fluphenazine tqblets, fluphenazine tavlets, fluphenazine tanlets, fluphenazine tahlets, fluphenazine taglets, fluphenazine tabkets, fluphenazine tabpets, fluphenazine taboets, fluphenazine tablwts, fluphenazine tablsts, fluphenazine tabldts, fluphenazine tablrts, fluphenazine tabl4ts, fluphenazine tabl3ts, fluphenazine tablers, fluphenazine tablefs, fluphenazine tablegs, fluphenazine tableys, fluphenazine table6s, fluphenazine table5s, fluphenazine tableta, fluphenazine tabletz, fluphenazine tabletx, fluphenazine tabletd, fluphenazine tablete, fluphenazine tabletw, luphenazine tablets, fuphenazine tablets, flphenazine tablets, fluhenazine tablets, flupenazine tablets, fluphnazine tablets, flupheazine tablets, fluphenzine tablets, fluphenaine tablets, fluphenazne tablets, fluphenazie tablets, fluphenazin tablets, fluphenazinetablets, fluphenazine ablets, fluphenazine tblets, fluphenazine talets, fluphenazine tabets, fluphenazine tablts, fluphenazine tables, fluphenazine tablet, lfuphenazine tablets, fulphenazine tablets, flpuhenazine tablets, fluhpenazine tablets, flupehnazine tablets, fluphneazine tablets, flupheanzine tablets, fluphenzaine tablets, fluphenaizne tablets, fluphenaznie tablets, fluphenazien tablets, fluphenazin etablets, fluphenazinet ablets, fluphenazine atblets, fluphenazine tbalets, fluphenazine talbets, fluphenazine tabelts, fluphenazine tabltes, fluphenazine tablest, ffluphenazine tablets, flluphenazine tablets, fluuphenazine tablets, flupphenazine tablets, fluphhenazine tablets, flupheenazine tablets, fluphennazine tablets, fluphenaazine tablets, fluphenazzine tablets, fluphenaziine tablets, fluphenazinne tablets, fluphenazinee tablets, fluphenazine tablets, fluphenazine ttablets, fluphenazine taablets, fluphenazine tabblets, fluphenazine tabllets, fluphenazine tableets, fluphenazine tabletts, fluphenazine tabletss, etc.