|Drugs search, click the first letter of a drug name: | A | B | C | D | E | F | G | H | I | J | K | L | M | N | O | P | Q | R | S | T | U | V | W | X | Y | Z | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 8 | 9
Generic Name: Gentamicin Injection Solution (jen-ta-MYE-sin)
Brand Name: Garamycin
Garamycin Solution has caused kidney problems, nerve damage or permanent hearing loss, even at usual doses. Hearing loss can occur even after the medicine is stopped. If you already have kidney problems or hearing difficulty, tell your doctor. Notify your doctor immediately if any of the following occur:
ringing in ears, hearing loss, unusual change in amount of urine, dizziness, numbness, skin tingling, muscle twitching, or seizures. Garamycin Solution may be stopped if you develop kidney or hearing problems. Your doctor will monitor your progress to minimize the possibility of these effects occurring and to run certain tests (eg, hearing and/or kidney tests). Do not use Garamycin Solution with other medicines that can cause nerve, kidney, or hearing problems. Other factors that increase
the risk of these side effects occurring include advanced age or dehydration.
Garamycin Solution is used for:
Treating serious infections caused by certain bacteria.
Garamycin Solution is an aminoglycoside antibiotic. It works by slowing the growth of, or killing, sensitive bacteria.
Do NOT use Garamycin Solution if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Garamycin Solution or another aminoglycoside antibiotic (eg, tobramycin)
- you are taking fludarabine, nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs)
(eg, ibuprofen), or nondepolarizing muscle relaxants (eg, atracurium)
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Garamycin Solution:
Some medical conditions may interact with Garamycin Solution. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become
pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have myasthenia gravis (a condition in which the muscles become progressively paralyzed) or Parkinson disease
- if you have dehydration, hearing problems, kidney failure, or you are a child younger than 9 years of age with diarrhea, or a stomach or intestinal infection
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Garamycin Solution. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Polypeptide antibiotics (eg, polymyxin B) because breathing may stop and kidney damage may occur
- Cephalosporins, cyclosporine, fludarabine, loop diuretics (eg, furosemide), methoxyflurane, nitrosoureas
(eg, carmustine), NSAIDs (eg, ibuprofen), or vancomycin because the risk of side effects of Garamycin Solution including kidney damage or hearing loss, may be increased
- Nondepolarizing muscle relaxants (eg, atracurium)
or succinylcholine because their actions and side effects may be increased by Garamycin Solution
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Garamycin Solution may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Garamycin Solution:
Use Garamycin Solution as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Garamycin Solution is usually administered as an injection at your doctor"s office, hospital, or
clinic. If you are using Garamycin Solution at home, carefully follow the injection procedures taught to you by your health care provider.
- If Garamycin Solution contains particles, is discolored, or if the vial is cracked or damaged in any way, do not use it.
- Keep this product, as well as syringes and needles, out of the reach of children. Do not reuse needles, syringes, or other materials. Dispose of properly after use. Ask your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist to explain local regulations for proper disposal.
- Do not mix Garamycin Solution with cephalosporins (eg, cephalothin) or penicillins
(eg, penicillin), as it may inactivate Garamycin Solution. Administer separately.
- If you miss a dose of Garamycin Solution, use it as soon as possible. Check with your doctor, pharmacist, or nurse for instructions on scheduling other doses.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Garamycin Solution.
Important safety information:
- Garamycin Solution is effective only against bacteria. It is not effective for treating viral infections (eg, the common cold).
- Drinking extra fluids while you are using Garamycin Solution is recommended. Check with your doctor or nurse for instructions.
- If severe diarrhea, stomach pain/cramps or bloody stools occur, contact your doctor immediately. This could be a symptom of a serious side effect requiring immediate medical attention. Do not treat diarrhea without consulting your doctor.
- It is important to use Garamycin Solution for the full course of treatment. Failure to do so may decrease the effectiveness of Garamycin Solution and may increase the risk that the bacteria will no longer be sensitive to Garamycin Solution and will not be able to be treated by this or certain other antibiotics in the future.
- Long-term or repeated use of Garamycin Solution may cause a second infection. Your doctor may want to change your medicine
to treat the second infection. Contact your doctor if signs of a second infection occur.
- Garamycin Solution contains sulfite preservatives, which can cause allergic reactions in certain individuals (eg, asthma patients). If you have previously had allergic reactions to sulfites, contact your pharmacist.
- Before you have any medical or dental surgery or emergency treatment, tell your doctor or dentist that you are taking Garamycin Solution.
- LAB TESTS, including kidney function, may be performed to monitor your progress or to check for side effects. Be sure to keep all doctor and lab appointments.
- Use Garamycin Solution with caution in the ELDERLY because they may be more sensitive to its effects, especially kidney or hearing problems.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: Garamycin Solution has been shown to cause fetal harm when given to pregnant women. If you are pregnant or plan on becoming pregnant, discuss with your
doctor the benefits and risks of using Garamycin Solution during pregnancy. Garamycin Solution is excreted in breast milk. Do not breast-feed while taking Garamycin Solution.
Possible side effects of Garamycin Solution:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing;
tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); clumsiness;
decreased urination; dizziness or lightheadedness; feeling of a whirling motion;
hearing loss; itching; muscle weakness; numbness or tingling; ringing or roaring in the ears; seizures; vaginal irritation or discharge.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions or need medical advice about side effects, contact your doctor or health care provider. You may report side
effects to the FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088) or at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org/findyour.htm), or emergency room immediately.
Proper storage of Garamycin Solution:
Store Garamycin Solution at room temperature between 59 and 86 degrees F
(15 and 30 degrees C). Do not freeze. Keep Garamycin Solution, as well as syringes and needles, out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Garamycin Solution, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Garamycin Solution is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Garamycin Solution. If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
Issue Date: November 1, 2006
Database Edition 06.4.1.002
Copyright © 2006 Wolters Kluwer Health, Inc.
faramycin solution, varamycin solution, baramycin solution, haramycin solution, yaramycin solution, taramycin solution, gzramycin solution, gsramycin solution, gwramycin solution, gqramycin solution, gaeamycin solution, gadamycin solution, gafamycin solution, gatamycin solution, ga5amycin solution, ga4amycin solution, garzmycin solution, garsmycin solution, garwmycin solution, garqmycin solution, garanycin solution, garakycin solution, garajycin solution, garamtcin solution, garamgcin solution, garamhcin solution, garamucin solution, garam7cin solution, garam6cin solution, garamyxin solution, garamyvin solution, garamyfin solution, garamydin solution, garamycun solution, garamycjn solution, garamyckn solution, garamycon solution, garamyc9n solution, garamyc8n solution, garamycib solution, garamycim solution, garamycij solution, garamycih solution, garamycin aolution, garamycin zolution, garamycin xolution, garamycin dolution, garamycin eolution, garamycin wolution, garamycin silution, garamycin sklution, garamycin sllution, garamycin splution, garamycin s0lution, garamycin s9lution, garamycin sokution, garamycin sopution, garamycin sooution, garamycin solytion, garamycin solhtion, garamycin soljtion, garamycin solition, garamycin sol8tion, garamycin sol7tion, garamycin solurion, garamycin solufion, garamycin solugion, garamycin soluyion, garamycin solu6ion, garamycin solu5ion, garamycin solutuon, garamycin solutjon, garamycin solutkon, garamycin solutoon, garamycin solut9on, garamycin solut8on, garamycin solutiin, garamycin solutikn, garamycin solutiln, garamycin solutipn, garamycin soluti0n, garamycin soluti9n, garamycin solutiob, garamycin solutiom, garamycin solutioj, garamycin solutioh, aramycin solution, gramycin solution, gaamycin solution, garmycin solution, garaycin solution, garamcin solution, garamyin solution, garamycn solution, garamyci solution, garamycinsolution, garamycin olution, garamycin slution, garamycin soution, garamycin soltion, garamycin soluion, garamycin soluton, garamycin solutin, garamycin solutio, agramycin solution, graamycin solution, gaarmycin solution, garmaycin solution, garaymcin solution, garamcyin solution, garamyicn solution, garamycni solution, garamyci nsolution, garamycins olution, garamycin oslution, garamycin sloution, garamycin soultion, garamycin soltuion, garamycin soluiton, garamycin solutoin, garamycin solutino, ggaramycin solution, gaaramycin solution, garramycin solution, garaamycin solution, garammycin solution, garamyycin solution, garamyccin solution, garamyciin solution, garamycinn solution, garamycin solution, garamycin ssolution, garamycin soolution, garamycin sollution, garamycin soluution, garamycin soluttion, garamycin solutiion, garamycin solutioon, garamycin solutionn, etc.