|Drugs search, click the first letter of a drug name: | A | B | C | D | E | F | G | H | I | J | K | L | M | N | O | P | Q | R | S | T | U | V | W | X | Y | Z | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 8 | 9
Generic Name: Iloprost (EYE-loe-prost)
Brand Name: Ventavis
Iloprost is used for:
Treating high blood pressure in the pulmonary arteries of the lungs in patients with pulmonary arterial hypertension (PAH).
Iloprost is a form of prostacyclin. It is similar to a chemical in the body that widens (dilates) blood vessels, such as those in the arteries or lungs. Widening the blood vessels decreases high blood pressure.
Do NOT use Iloprost if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Iloprost
- you have certain lung problems (eg, chronic respiratory acidosis)
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Iloprost :
Some medical conditions may interact with Iloprost . Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), severe asthma, or a lung infection
- if you have liver or kidney problems, low blood pressure, or certain types of rectal bleeding
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Iloprost . Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Mecamylamine, stimulant-type medicines (eg, ephedrine, pseudoephedrine), some blood pressure medicines, or warfarin because side effects may be increased
- Lithium or tetracycline antibiotics (eg, doxycycline) because the effectiveness may be
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Iloprost may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Iloprost :
Use Iloprost as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Iloprost comes with an additional patient leaflet. Read it carefully.
- Iloprost is to be breathed into your lungs. Do not allow Iloprost solution to come into contact with your skin or eyes. Wash thoroughly with water if you do get Iloprost on your skin or in your eyes.
- Do not swallow Iloprost .
- Use Iloprost with either the Prodose AAD System or the I-neb ADD System. Carefully follow your doctor"s instructions for dispensing the
medicine and operating and cleaning the equipment. Do not put other medicines into this equipment.
- Do not take a dose of Iloprost within 2 hours of your last dose. However, the benefits of Iloprost may not last 2 hours.
- After each inhalation session, any solution left in the medicine chamber should be discarded.
- If you miss a dose of Iloprost , use it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not use 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Iloprost .
Important safety information:
- Iloprost may cause dizziness. Do not drive, operate machinery, or do anything else that could be dangerous until you know how you react to Iloprost . Using Iloprost alone, with certain other medicines, or with alcohol may lessen your ability to drive or to perform
other potentially dangerous tasks.
- You may have a fall in blood pressure while using Iloprost and you may become dizzy or faint. Stand up slowly from a seated or lying position in a chair or bed. If fainting gets worse, contact your doctor. Your doctor may need to change your dose.
- Iloprost may reduce the number of clot-forming cells (platelets)
in your blood. To prevent bleeding, avoid situations in which bruising or injury may occur. Report any unusual bleeding, bruising, blood in stools, or dark, tarry stools to your doctor.
- LAB TESTS, including vital signs, may be performed to monitor your progress or to check for side effects. Be sure to keep all doctor and lab appointments.
- Use Iloprost with caution in the ELDERLY because they may be more sensitive to its effects.
- Iloprost is not recommended for use in CHILDREN. Safety and effectiveness have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, discuss with your doctor the benefits and risks of using Iloprost during pregnancy. It is unknown if Iloprost is excreted in breast milk. Do not breast-feed while taking Iloprost . If you are or will be breast-feeding while you are taking Iloprost , check with your doctor or pharmacist to discuss the risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Iloprost :
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Back pain; cough; dizziness; flu-like symptoms; flushing; headache;
increased cough; muscle cramps; nausea; sleeplessness; tongue pain; vomiting.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); chest pain; coughing up blood; decreased urination;
fainting; fast or irregular heartbeat; flu-like symptoms; lock jaw; pneumonia; pounding in the chest; shortness of breath;
swelling of the arms or legs; unusual sweating.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions or need medical advice about side effects, contact your doctor or health care provider. You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088) or at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org/findyour.htm), or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include chest pain; diarrhea;
fainting; flushing; headache; nausea; vomiting.
Proper storage of Iloprost :
Store Iloprost at room temperature, between 68 and 77 degrees F
(20 and 25 degrees C). Store away from
heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Brief storage at temperatures between 59 and 86 degrees F
(15 and 30 degrees C) is permitted. Keep Iloprost out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Iloprost , please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Iloprost is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Iloprost . If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
Issue Date: November 1, 2006
Database Edition 06.4.1.002
Copyright © 2006 Wolters Kluwer Health, Inc.
uloprost, jloprost, kloprost, oloprost, 9loprost, 8loprost, ikoprost, ipoprost, iooprost, iliprost, ilkprost, illprost, ilpprost, il0prost, il9prost, iloorost, ilolrost, ilo-rost, ilo0rost, ilopeost, ilopdost, ilopfost, iloptost, ilop5ost, ilop4ost, iloprist, iloprkst, iloprlst, iloprpst, ilopr0st, ilopr9st, iloproat, iloprozt, iloproxt, iloprodt, iloproet, iloprowt, iloprosr, iloprosf, iloprosg, iloprosy, ilopros6, ilopros5, loprost, ioprost, ilprost, ilorost, ilopost, iloprst, iloprot, ilopros, lioprost, iolprost, ilporost, ilorpost, iloporst, iloprsot, iloprots, iiloprost, illoprost, ilooprost, ilopprost, iloprrost, iloproost, iloprosst, iloprostt, etc.