|Drugs search, click the first letter of a drug name: | A | B | C | D | E | F | G | H | I | J | K | L | M | N | O | P | Q | R | S | T | U | V | W | X | Y | Z | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 8 | 9
Generic Name: Terbinafine Tablets (TER-bin-ah-feen)
Brand Name: Lamisil
Rare cases of liver failure, some leading to death or liver transplant, have occurred with the use of Lamisil . Most affected patients had other serious diseases that may have played a role in causing liver failure.
Lamisil is used for:
Treating fungal infections of the skin and nails.
Lamisil is an antifungal agent. It works by preventing the formation of substances needed by the fungus to grow and develop, which causes weakness and death of the fungus.
Do NOT use Lamisil if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Lamisil
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Lamisil :
Some medical conditions may interact with Lamisil . Tell your doctor
or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have liver disease, kidney disease, or lupus, or you have a history of alcohol abuse
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Lamisil . Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Cimetidine because it may increase the risk of side effects from Lamisil
- Rifampin because it may decrease the effectiveness of Lamisil
- Antiarrhythmics (eg, flecainide, propafenone), beta-blockers (eg, metoprolol), monoamine oxidase (MAO)
type B inhibitors (eg, selegiline), selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs) (eg, fluoxetine), or tricyclic antidepressants
(eg, amitriptyline) because their actions and side effects may be increased by Lamisil
- Anticoagulants (eg, warfarin) because their effectiveness may be affected by Lamisil
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Lamisil may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Lamisil :
Use Lamisil as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Lamisil may be taken with or without food.
- Lamisil is usually taken for 6 to 12 weeks depending on your condition. Maximum benefits may not be seen for several months after discontinuing treatment;
this includes the time
period necessary for the outgrowth of healthy nail.
- It may take several weeks to months for your symptoms to improve.
- If you miss a dose of Lamisil , take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Lamisil .
Important safety information:
- Alcohol use with Lamisil may increase your risk of liver problems. Talk with your doctor about drinking alcohol with Lamisil .
- It is important to use Lamisil for the full course of treatment. Failure to do so may decrease the effectiveness of Lamisil and increase the risk that the fungus will no longer be sensitive to Lamisil and will not be able to be treated by this or certain other antibiotics in the future.
- If you experience persistent nausea, loss
of appetite, fatigue, vomiting, right upper stomach pain, yellowing of the skin or eyes, dark urine, or pale stools, contact your doctor immediately. These could be signs of liver problems.
- If a skin rash develops or worsens, stop using Lamisil and contact your doctor immediately.
- LAB TESTS, such as liver function tests, may be performed to monitor your progress or to check for side effects. Be sure to keep all doctor and lab appointments.
- Use Lamisil with extreme caution in CHILDREN. Safety and effectiveness have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: Do not use Lamisil if you are pregnant. If you suspect that you could be pregnant, contact your doctor immediately. Lamisil is excreted in breast milk. Do not breast-feed while taking Lamisil .
Possible side effects of Lamisil :
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects.
Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Change in sense of taste; diarrhea; gas; indigestion; itching; nausea;
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); dark urine; fever;
infection; loss of appetite; pale stools; peeling skin; severe skin rash;
sore throat; stomach pain; tiredness; unexplained, persistent nausea; vision changes; vomiting; yellowing of skin or eyes.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions or need medical advice about side effects, contact your doctor or health care provider. You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088) or at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (
http://www.aapcc.org/findyour.htm), or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include dizziness; frequent urination;
headache; nausea; rash; stomach pain; vomiting.
Proper storage of Lamisil :
Store Lamisil below 77 degrees F (25 degrees C) in a tightly closed container. Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Keep Lamisil out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Lamisil , please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Lamisil is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Lamisil . If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check
with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
Issue Date: November 1, 2006
Database Edition 06.4.1.002
Copyright © 2006 Wolters Kluwer Health, Inc.
kamisil, pamisil, oamisil, lzmisil, lsmisil, lwmisil, lqmisil, lanisil, lakisil, lajisil, lamusil, lamjsil, lamksil, lamosil, lam9sil, lam8sil, lamiail, lamizil, lamixil, lamidil, lamieil, lamiwil, lamisul, lamisjl, lamiskl, lamisol, lamis9l, lamis8l, lamisik, lamisip, lamisio, amisil, lmisil, laisil, lamsil, lamiil, lamisl, lamisi, almisil, lmaisil, laimsil, lamsiil, lamiisl, lamisli, llamisil, laamisil, lammisil, lamiisil, lamissil, lamisiil, lamisill, etc.