|Drugs search, click the first letter of a drug name: | A | B | C | D | E | F | G | H | I | J | K | L | M | N | O | P | Q | R | S | T | U | V | W | X | Y | Z | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 8 | 9
Generic Name: Nalidixic Acid Tablets (nal-ih-DIK-sik)
Brand Name: NegGram
Nalidixic Acid is used for:
Treating urinary tract infections caused by certain bacteria.
Nalidixic Acid is an antibacterial. It works by killing sensitive bacteria in the urinary tract by stopping the production of essential proteins needed by the bacteria to survive.
Do NOT use Nalidixic Acid if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Nalidixic Acid
- you have the blood disease porphyria or a history of convulsions
- you are undergoing cancer chemotherapy with the medicine melphalan or related medicines, or you are taking antiarrhythmics for abnormal heartbeat
(eg, quinidine, procainamide, amiodarone, sotalol)
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Nalidixic Acid :
Some medical conditions
may interact with Nalidixic Acid . Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, plan to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have Alzheimer disease, central nervous system disease, hardening of the arteries in your brain, increased pressure in your brain, liver problems, sensitivity to the sun, severe kidney problems, or a family history of heartbeat problems
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Nalidixic Acid . Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Anticoagulants (eg, warfarin), antiarrhythmics
(eg, quinidine, procainamide, amiodarone, sotalol), certain medicines that affect heartbeat (eg, cisapride, erythromycin, amitriptyline), cyclosporine, melphalan, or theophylline because the risk of side effects may be increased by Nalidixic Acid
- Probenecid because the effectiveness of Nalidixic Acid may be decreased and the risk of side effects may be increased
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Nalidixic Acid may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Nalidixic Acid :
Use Nalidixic Acid as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Nalidixic Acid may be taken with or without food. If stomach upset occurs, take with food to reduce stomach irritation.
- Do not take products containing magnesium (eg, quinapril, didanosine, vitamins), aluminum, calcium, sucralfate, iron, or zinc preparations within 2 to 3 hours of taking Nalidixic Acid . These products bind with the medicine preventing its absorption.
- Drink a full glass of water with each dose. Drink several additional glasses of water daily unless otherwise directed by your doctor. Do not drink products with caffeine while taking Nalidixic Acid .
- To clear up your infection completely, continue using Nalidixic Acid for the full course of treatment even if you feel better in a few days.
- If you miss a dose of Nalidixic Acid , take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Nalidixic Acid .
Important safety information:
- Nalidixic Acid can cause drowsiness, dizziness, or blurred vision. Do not drive, operate machinery, or do anything else that could be dangerous until you know how you react to Nalidixic Acid . Using Nalidixic Acid alone, with certain other medicines, or with alcohol may lessen your ability to drive or to perform other potentially dangerous tasks.
- Nalidixic Acid may cause increased sensitivity to the sun. Avoid exposure to the sun, sunlamps, or tanning booths until you know how you react to Nalidixic Acid . Use a sunscreen or protective clothing if you must be outside for a prolonged period.
- If severe diarrhea, stomach cramps/pain, or bloody stools occur, contact your health care provider at once. This could be a symptom of a serious side effect requiring immediate medical attention. Do not treat diarrhea without consulting
your health care provider.
- Nalidixic Acid is effective only against bacteria. It is not effective for treating viral infections (eg, the common cold).
- It is important to use Nalidixic Acid for the full course of treatment. Failure to do so may decrease the effectiveness of Nalidixic Acid and may increase the risk that the bacteria will no longer be sensitive to Nalidixic Acid and will not be able to be treated by this or certain other antibiotics in the future.
- Long-term or repeated use of Nalidixic Acid may cause a second infection. Your doctor may want to change your medicine to treat the second infection. Contact your doctor if the signs of a second infection occur.
- Diabetes patients - Nalidixic Acid may cause false test results with some urine glucose tests. Check with your doctor before you adjust the dose of your diabetes medicine or change your diet.
- LAB TESTS, including liver function, kidney function, and complete
blood cell counts, may be performed to monitor your progress or to check for side effects. Be sure to keep all doctor and lab appointments.
- Use Nalidixic Acid with extreme caution in CHILDREN younger than 18 years of age. Nalidixic Acid is not recommended for use in CHILDREN younger than 3 months of age or younger than 9 years of age with diarrhea or a gastrointestinal infection.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, discuss with your doctor the benefits and risks of using Nalidixic Acid during pregnancy. It is unknown if Nalidixic Acid is excreted in breast milk. Do not breast-feed while taking Nalidixic Acid .
Possible side effects of Nalidixic Acid :
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Diarrhea; dizziness; drowsiness; feeling of a whirling motion; headache;
nausea; rash; stomach pain or discomfort;
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); blurred or decreased vision; burning or tingling sensation; changes in color vision; convulsions;
decrease in ability to sense pain, temperature, or body position; double vision;
itching; numbness; pain; pain, redness, or swelling of a tendon; seeing halos around lights; weakness.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions or need medical advice about side effects, contact your doctor or health care provider. You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088) or at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (
http://www.aapcc.org/findyour.htm), or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include seizures; unusual sluggishness.
Proper storage of Nalidixic Acid :
Store Nalidixic Acid at room temperature, below 77 degrees F (25 degrees C), in a tightly closed container. Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Nalidixic Acid out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Nalidixic Acid , please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Nalidixic Acid is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Nalidixic Acid . If you have questions about the medicine you
are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
Issue Date: November 1, 2006
Database Edition 06.4.1.002
Copyright © 2006 Wolters Kluwer Health, Inc.
balidixic acid, malidixic acid, jalidixic acid, halidixic acid, nzlidixic acid, nslidixic acid, nwlidixic acid, nqlidixic acid, nakidixic acid, napidixic acid, naoidixic acid, naludixic acid, naljdixic acid, nalkdixic acid, nalodixic acid, nal9dixic acid, nal8dixic acid, nalisixic acid, nalixixic acid, nalicixic acid, nalifixic acid, nalirixic acid, nalieixic acid, naliduxic acid, nalidjxic acid, nalidkxic acid, nalidoxic acid, nalid9xic acid, nalid8xic acid, nalidizic acid, nalidicic acid, nalididic acid, nalidisic acid, nalidixuc acid, nalidixjc acid, nalidixkc acid, nalidixoc acid, nalidix9c acid, nalidix8c acid, nalidixix acid, nalidixiv acid, nalidixif acid, nalidixid acid, nalidixic zcid, nalidixic scid, nalidixic wcid, nalidixic qcid, nalidixic axid, nalidixic avid, nalidixic afid, nalidixic adid, nalidixic acud, nalidixic acjd, nalidixic ackd, nalidixic acod, nalidixic ac9d, nalidixic ac8d, nalidixic acis, nalidixic acix, nalidixic acic, nalidixic acif, nalidixic acir, nalidixic acie, alidixic acid, nlidixic acid, naidixic acid, naldixic acid, naliixic acid, nalidxic acid, nalidiic acid, nalidixc acid, nalidixi acid, nalidixicacid, nalidixic cid, nalidixic aid, nalidixic acd, nalidixic aci, anlidixic acid, nlaidixic acid, naildixic acid, naldiixic acid, naliidxic acid, nalidxiic acid, nalidiixc acid, nalidixci acid, nalidixi cacid, nalidixica cid, nalidixic caid, nalidixic aicd, nalidixic acdi, nnalidixic acid, naalidixic acid, nallidixic acid, naliidixic acid, naliddixic acid, nalidiixic acid, nalidixxic acid, nalidixiic acid, nalidixicc acid, nalidixic acid, nalidixic aacid, nalidixic accid, nalidixic aciid, nalidixic acidd, etc.