|Drugs search, click the first letter of a drug name: | A | B | C | D | E | F | G | H | I | J | K | L | M | N | O | P | Q | R | S | T | U | V | W | X | Y | Z | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 8 | 9
Generic Name: Salsalate (SAL-sa-late)
Brand Name: Examples include Amigesic and Salflex
Salflex is used for:
Treating pain and inflammation due to arthritis and rheumatoid arthritis. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Salflex is a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID). It works by blocking several different chemical processes within the body that cause pain and inflammation.
Do NOT use Salflex if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Salflex
- you have influenza (flu) or flu symptoms, chickenpox, or another viral illness
- you have bleeding problems such as hemophilia, von Willebrand disease, or low blood platelets
- you have had a severe allergic reaction (eg, severe rash, hives, breathing difficulties, dizziness) to aspirin or an NSAID (eg, ibuprofen, naproxen,
- you are taking probenecid or sulfinpyrazone
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Salflex :
Some medical conditions may interact with Salflex . Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have alcoholism or if you consume 3 or more alcohol-containing drinks every day
- if you have a history of asthma, bleeding or clotting problems, growths in the nose (nasal polyps), kidney or liver problems, gout, stomach or peptic ulcers (bleeding ulcers), heartburn,
stomach upset or pain, stroke, a weakened blood vessel (cerebral aneurysm) or bleeding in the brain, or vitamin K deficiency
- if you are a child with Kawasaki syndrome (a rare inflammation causing heart problems in children)
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Salflex . Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Carbonic anhydrase inhibitors (eg, acetazolamide) because the effectiveness of Salflex may be decreased
- Anticoagulants (eg, heparin, warfarin) or NSAIDs (eg, celecoxib, ibuprofen)
because side effects, including risk of bleeding, may be increased by Salflex
- Insulin and oral antidiabetics (eg, glyburide, nateglinide) because side effects, including abnormally low blood sugar level (eg, hunger, shakiness or weakness, dizziness, headache, sweating), may be increased by Salflex
- Hydantoins (eg,
phenytoin), methotrexate, thyroid hormones (eg, levothyroxine), or valproic acid because their actions and side effects may be increased by Salflex
- Angiotensin-converting enzyme inhibitors (eg, enalapril), probenecid, or sulfinpyrazone because their effectiveness may be decreased by Salflex
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Salflex may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Salflex :
Use Salflex as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Salflex may be taken with or without food. If stomach upset occurs, take with food to reduce stomach irritation.
- Take Salflex with a full glass of
water (8 oz/240 mL). Do not lie down for 30 minutes after taking Salflex .
- If you miss a dose of Salflex , take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Salflex .
Important safety information:
- Salflex is similar to aspirin. Before you begin taking any new prescription or over-the-counter medicine, read the ingredients to see if it also contains aspirin or an aspirin-like medicine. If it does or if you are uncertain, contact your doctor or pharmacist.
- Serious stomach ulcers or bleeding can occur with Salflex . Taking Salflex in high doses, taking it for long periods of time, or drinking alcohol increases the risk of these side effects. Taking Salflex with food will NOT reduce the risk of these
effects. If you have severe stomach or back pain, black tar-like stools, vomit that looks like blood or coffee grounds, or unusual weight gain or swelling, contact your doctor or emergency room immediately.
- Salflex may reduce the number of clot-forming cells (platelets)
in your blood. To prevent bleeding, avoid situations in which bruising or injury may occur. Report any unusual bleeding, bruising, blood in stools, or dark, tarry stools to your doctor.
- Salflex is similar to aspirin, which has been linked to Reye syndrome. Do not take Salflex during or after chickenpox, flu, or other viral infections without checking with your doctor or pharmacist for more information.
- Before you have any medical or dental treatments, emergency care, or surgery, tell the doctor or dentist that you are using Salflex .
- Use Salflex with extreme caution in CHILDREN. Safety and effectiveness have not been confirmed.
PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, discuss with your doctor the benefits and risks of using Salflex during pregnancy. Salflex is not recommended during the last 3 months
(third trimester) of pregnancy due to the potential for fetal harm or complications during delivery. Salflex is excreted in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you are using Salflex , check with your doctor or pharmacist to discuss the risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Salflex :
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Heartburn; nausea; upset stomach.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); black or bloody stools; confusion; diarrhea; dizziness; drowsiness;
hearing loss; ringing in the ears; severe stomach pain; vomiting.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions or need medical advice about side effects, contact your doctor or health care provider. You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088) or at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org/findyour.htm), or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include agitation; confusion;
fever; hearing loss; lethargy; lightheadedness, especially upon standing;
nausea; rapid breathing; rapid or irregular heartbeat; ringing in the ears;
seizures; shortness of breath; stomach pain; sweating; vomiting.
Proper storage of Salflex :
Store Salflex at room temperature, between 59 and 86
(15 and 30 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Salflex out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Salflex , please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Salflex is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Salflex . If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
Issue Date: November 1, 2006
Database Edition 06.4.1.002
Copyright © 2006 Wolters Kluwer Health, Inc.
aalflex, zalflex, xalflex, dalflex, ealflex, walflex, szlflex, sslflex, swlflex, sqlflex, sakflex, sapflex, saoflex, saldlex, salclex, salvlex, salglex, saltlex, salrlex, salfkex, salfpex, salfoex, salflwx, salflsx, salfldx, salflrx, salfl4x, salfl3x, salflez, salflec, salfled, salfles, alflex, slflex, saflex, sallex, salfex, salflx, salfle, aslflex, slaflex, safllex, sallfex, salfelx, salflxe, ssalflex, saalflex, sallflex, salfflex, salfllex, salfleex, salflexx, etc.