|Drugs search, click the first letter of a drug name: | A | B | C | D | E | F | G | H | I | J | K | L | M | N | O | P | Q | R | S | T | U | V | W | X | Y | Z | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 8 | 9
Generic Name: Latanoprost Eye Drops (la-TAN-oh-prost)
Brand Name: Xalatan
Xalatan Drops is used for:
Treating increased pressure in the eye (ocular hypertension) and open-angle glaucoma.
Xalatan Drops is a prostaglandin analog. It works to lower pressure in the eye by increasing fluid drainage from the eye.
Do NOT use Xalatan Drops if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Xalatan Drops
- you have inflammation in the eye (eg, iritis, uveitis)
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Xalatan Drops:
Some medical conditions may interact with Xalatan Drops. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to
become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have swelling, infection, or injury of the eye, or you have a history of inflammation in the eye (eg, iritis, uveitis)
- if you do not have a lens in your eye or have had the lens in your eye replaced
- if you have other types of glaucoma (eg, narrow-angle, neovascular)
- if you will be having eye surgery
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Xalatan Drops. However, no specific interactions with Xalatan Drops are known at this time.
Ask your health care provider if Xalatan Drops may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Xalatan Drops:
Use Xalatan Drops as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Use Xalatan Drops in the evening unless your doctor tells you otherwise.
- Soft contact lenses may absorb a chemical in Xalatan Drops. Remove contact lenses before you use Xalatan Drops; lenses may be placed back in the eyes 15 minutes after use of Xalatan Drops.
- Wash your hands before and after using Xalatan Drops.
- Tilt your head back. Using your index finger, pull the lower eyelid away from the eye to form a pouch. Drop the medicine into the pouch and gently close your eyes. Immediately use your finger to apply pressure to the inside corner of the eyelid for 1 to 2 minutes. Do not blink. Remove excess medicine around your eye with a clean, dry tissue, being careful not to touch your eye. Wash your hands to remove any medicine that may be on them.
- To prevent germs from contaminating your medicine, do not touch the applicator
tip to any surface, including the eye. Keep the container tightly closed.
- Use Xalatan Drops at least 5 minutes apart from any other medicine that you put in your eye, especially eye drops that contain thimerosal.
- Continue to use Xalatan Drops even if you feel well. Do not miss any doses.
- If you miss a dose of Xalatan Drops, use it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not use 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Xalatan Drops.
Important safety information:
- Xalatan Drops is for use in the eye only. Do not get it in your nose or mouth.
- Xalatan Drops may cause blurred vision or make your eyes more sensitive to light. Use Xalatan Drops with caution. Do not drive or perform other possibly unsafe tasks until you know how you react to it. If your eyes become sensitive
to light, wearing sunglasses may help.
- Xalatan Drops may cause the colored part of your eye (iris) to turn brown. This change may be permanent. It may not be noticeable for several months to years. If it occurs, you will need to have regular eye examinations. Discuss any questions or concerns with your doctor.
- Xalatan Drops may cause your eyelids to darken. It may also cause changes in the way that your eyelashes grow (eg, length, thickness, number of lashes). These effects usually go away after you stop using Xalatan Drops. Discuss any questions or concerns with your doctor.
- Do NOT use more than the recommended dose without checking with your doctor.
- If you will be having eye surgery, tell your doctor that you use Xalatan Drops.
- Lab tests, including eye pressure, may be performed while you use Xalatan Drops. These tests may be used to monitor your condition or check for side effects. Be sure to keep all doctor and lab appointments.
- Xalatan Drops should be used with extreme caution in CHILDREN; safety and effectiveness in children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Xalatan Drops while you are pregnant. It is not known if Xalatan Drops is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use
Xalatan Drops, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Xalatan Drops:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Blurred vision; changes in eyelash growth; cold symptoms; eye burning, dryness, itching, or stinging; feeling of having something in your eye; increased tear production.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching;
tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); chest pain; darkening of the eyelid or eye color; eye or eyelid discharge, inflammation, irritation, pain, redness, or swelling; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin; vision changes.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions or need medical advice about side effects, contact your doctor or health care provider. You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
(1-800-332-1088) or at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org/findyour.htm), or emergency room immediately.
Proper storage of Xalatan Drops:
Store unopened bottles in the refrigerator, between 36 and 46 degrees F (2 and 8 degrees C). Do not freeze.
Opened bottles may be stored at room temperature, up to 77 degrees F (25 degrees C), for up to 6 weeks. Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Xalatan Drops out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Xalatan Drops, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Xalatan Drops is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- Do not use Xalatan Drops for other health conditions.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Xalatan Drops. If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
Issue Date: November 1, 2006
Database Edition 06.4.1.002
Copyright © 2006 Wolters Kluwer Health, Inc.
zalatan drops, calatan drops, dalatan drops, salatan drops, xzlatan drops, xslatan drops, xwlatan drops, xqlatan drops, xakatan drops, xapatan drops, xaoatan drops, xalztan drops, xalstan drops, xalwtan drops, xalqtan drops, xalaran drops, xalafan drops, xalagan drops, xalayan drops, xala6an drops, xala5an drops, xalatzn drops, xalatsn drops, xalatwn drops, xalatqn drops, xalatab drops, xalatam drops, xalataj drops, xalatah drops, xalatan srops, xalatan xrops, xalatan crops, xalatan frops, xalatan rrops, xalatan erops, xalatan deops, xalatan ddops, xalatan dfops, xalatan dtops, xalatan d5ops, xalatan d4ops, xalatan drips, xalatan drkps, xalatan drlps, xalatan drpps, xalatan dr0ps, xalatan dr9ps, xalatan droos, xalatan drols, xalatan dro-s, xalatan dro0s, xalatan dropa, xalatan dropz, xalatan dropx, xalatan dropd, xalatan drope, xalatan dropw, alatan drops, xlatan drops, xaatan drops, xaltan drops, xalaan drops, xalatn drops, xalata drops, xalatandrops, xalatan rops, xalatan dops, xalatan drps, xalatan dros, xalatan drop, axlatan drops, xlaatan drops, xaaltan drops, xaltaan drops, xalaatn drops, xalatna drops, xalata ndrops, xalatand rops, xalatan rdops, xalatan dorps, xalatan drpos, xalatan drosp, xxalatan drops, xaalatan drops, xallatan drops, xalaatan drops, xalattan drops, xalataan drops, xalatann drops, xalatan drops, xalatan ddrops, xalatan drrops, xalatan droops, xalatan dropps, xalatan dropss, etc.