|Drugs search, click the first letter of a drug name: | A | B | C | D | E | F | G | H | I | J | K | L | M | N | O | P | Q | R | S | T | U | V | W | X | Y | Z | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 8 | 9
Generic Name: Metolazone (meh-TOLE-uh-ZONE)
Brand Name: Zaroxolyn
Zaroxolyn is used for:
Treating high blood pressure. It may be used with other high blood pressure medicines. It may be used to treat other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Zaroxolyn is a quinazoline diuretic with actions similar to thiazide type diuretics (eg, hydrochlorothiazide). It works by causing the kidneys to eliminate certain chemicals, which in turn allow large amounts of water to be eliminated.
Do NOT use Zaroxolyn if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Zaroxolyn
- you are unable to urinate
- you have precoma or are in a coma caused by severe liver disease
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Zaroxolyn :
Some medical conditions may interact with Zaroxolyn . Tell your
doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have lupus, kidney or liver disease, low blood sodium or potassium levels, or gout
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Zaroxolyn . Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) (eg, ibuprofen, naproxen)
because the effectiveness of Zaroxolyn may be decreased
- Loop diuretics (eg, furosemide), angiotensin-converting enzyme (ACE)
inhibitors (eg, enalapril), diazoxide, ketanserin,
NSAIDs (eg, ibuprofen, naproxen) because side effects such as kidney problems may occur
- Loop diuretics (eg, furosemide), ACE inhibitors (eg, enalapril), allopurinol, amantadine, antineoplastic agents (eg, cyclophosphamide), diazoxide, digitalis glycosides (eg, digoxin), ketanserin, lithium, or nondepolarizing muscle relaxants
(eg, vecuronium) because the actions and side effects of these medicines may be increased
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Zaroxolyn may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Zaroxolyn :
Use Zaroxolyn as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Zaroxolyn may be taken with or without food. Take with food or milk if upset stomach occurs.
- Zaroxolyn will increase
urination. If you are taking 1 dose of Zaroxolyn daily, take it in the morning to prevent this from affecting your sleep. If you are taking more than 1 dose daily, take the last dose no later than 6 pm.
- If you miss a dose of Zaroxolyn , take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Zaroxolyn .
Important safety information:
- Zaroxolyn may cause drowsiness, dizziness, blurred vision, or lightheadedness. Do not drive, operate machinery, or do anything else that could be dangerous until you know how you react to Zaroxolyn . Using Zaroxolyn alone, with certain other medicines, or with alcohol may lessen your ability to drive or to perform other potentially dangerous tasks. Alcohol, hot weather, exercise, and fever can increase these
effects. To prevent them, sit up or stand slowly, especially in the morning. Also, sit or lie down at the first sign of dizziness, lightheadedness, or weakness.
- Zaroxolyn may cause increased sensitivity to the sun. Avoid exposure to the sun, sunlamps, or tanning booths until you know how you react to Zaroxolyn . Use sunscreen or protective clothing if you must be outside for a prolonged period.
- Do not switch brands or formulations of Zaroxolyn without first consulting your doctor.
- Your doctor may have also prescribed a potassium supplement for you. If so, follow the dosing carefully. Do not start taking additional potassium on your own or change your diet to include more potassium without first checking with your doctor.
- LAB TESTS, including liver function, kidney function, and complete blood counts, may be performed to monitor your progress or to check for side effects. Be sure to keep all doctor and lab appointments.
Zaroxolyn with extreme caution in CHILDREN; safety and effectiveness have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you are pregnant or planning on becoming pregnant, discuss with your doctor the benefits and risks of using Zaroxolyn during pregnancy. Zaroxolyn is excreted in breast milk. Do not breast-feed while taking Zaroxolyn .
Possible side effects of Zaroxolyn :
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Abnormal skin sensations; constipation; diarrhea; dizziness; feeling of a whirling motion; headache; impotence;joint pain; lightheadedness; loss of appetite; nausea; purple patches under the skin; skin sensitivity to sunlight; stomach bloating; stomach pain.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty
tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); chest pain/discomfort; depression; drowsiness; dry mouth; fainting; gout attacks;
lightheadedness when rising from a seated position; muscle pain or cramps;
rapid or irregular heartbeat; restlessness; unusual thirst; unusual tiredness or weakness; vomiting; yellowing of the skin or eyes.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions or need medical advice about side effects, contact your doctor or health care provider. You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088) or at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1- 800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org/findyour.htm), or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include dizziness; drowsiness;
mouth; excessive urination followed by a decrease in amount of urine;
fainting; irregular or weak heartbeat; lightheadedness when rising from a seated position; muscle cramps.
Proper storage of Zaroxolyn :
Store Zaroxolyn at room temperature between 68 and 77 degrees F
(20 and 25 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Zaroxolyn out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Zaroxolyn , please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Zaroxolyn is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Zaroxolyn . If you have questions about the medicine you are
taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
Issue Date: November 1, 2006
Database Edition 06.4.1.002
Copyright © 2006 Wolters Kluwer Health, Inc.
xaroxolyn, saroxolyn, aaroxolyn, zzroxolyn, zsroxolyn, zwroxolyn, zqroxolyn, zaeoxolyn, zadoxolyn, zafoxolyn, zatoxolyn, za5oxolyn, za4oxolyn, zarixolyn, zarkxolyn, zarlxolyn, zarpxolyn, zar0xolyn, zar9xolyn, zarozolyn, zarocolyn, zarodolyn, zarosolyn, zaroxilyn, zaroxklyn, zaroxllyn, zaroxplyn, zarox0lyn, zarox9lyn, zaroxokyn, zaroxopyn, zaroxooyn, zaroxoltn, zaroxolgn, zaroxolhn, zaroxolun, zaroxol7n, zaroxol6n, zaroxolyb, zaroxolym, zaroxolyj, zaroxolyh, aroxolyn, zroxolyn, zaoxolyn, zarxolyn, zaroolyn, zaroxlyn, zaroxoyn, zaroxoln, zaroxoly, azroxolyn, zraoxolyn, zaorxolyn, zarxoolyn, zarooxlyn, zaroxloyn, zaroxoyln, zaroxolny, zzaroxolyn, zaaroxolyn, zarroxolyn, zarooxolyn, zaroxxolyn, zaroxoolyn, zaroxollyn, zaroxolyyn, zaroxolynn, etc.